Al Chet 10
- Category: Al Chet (Confession)
- Hits: 2543
Exploring the Al Chet Prayer
Rabbi Shraga Simmons
10. For the mistakes we committed before You through wronging a friend.
"Friendship" is one of the highest forms of human activity. When we reach out and connect with others, we experience the unity of God's universe, and bring the world closer to perfection. Ask yourself:
Did I strive to go out of my way to help friends, based on my commitment to be their friend?
Was I insensitive toward my friends' needs, or did I hurt their feelings?
Did I take advantage of someone who trusted me as a friend?
Did I check my email or answer my cell phone while listening to a friend, thus denying them my full attention?
Have I made a conscious effort to become a better friend?
Al Chet # 10
44 Roots of Mistakes
by George Brock
The Sin: The Mistakes we committed before You through wronging a friend.
- Friendship is one of the highest forms of human activity.
- When one reaches out and connects with others- one experiences the unity of G-d's universe and brings the world closer to perfection.
The Battle: Is between being a friend or an enemy.
- The humble and the arrogant.
- Not going out of one's way to be a loyal friend.
- Not working at becoming a better friend.
- Not being trustworthy.
- Not being sensitive towards one's friend regarding their needs.
The Victories(over): ...
1) (Not being loyal to one's friendship):
- It's not the words of one's enemies one remembers- it's the silence of one's friends.
2) (Not working at becoming a better friend):
- Friendship is not a problem to be solved- but a reality to be experienced and shared.
3) (Not trustworthy as a friend):
- If one would have people trust in him- then he must first trust in them.
4) (Not being sensitive towards one's friend regarding their needs):
- It takes years to make a friend- but it takes only a moment to lose one.
- If one understood- one who has a thousand friends has not one to spare. And one who has one enemy- will meet him everywhere. One would overcome the sin of wronging a person.
- The arrogant- look into the mirror and see themselves alone and separate.
- The humble look into the mirror and see themselves as part of a whole- united as one.
“One might ask; If I am friendly towards others- how do I know they will be a friend to me? Are you seeking a friend or someone to barter with? To make a friend you risk great pain or great gain. Is this not what G-d did when he created man”?